Wednesday, April 14, 2010

That Peripheral Side-Ways Stare

Yeah, you know what I'm talking about. The "I'm only gonna look at you out of the side of my eye and it's gonna have to count today, 'cause straight on makes me run away" look. It's that cock my head, close one eye and see from the sideways peripheral view what I'm looking at today. I just learned why that is. Ready?

"They may also help us understand why many children with ASD use peripheral vision (they don't look directly at caregivers but seem to look from the side) rather than central vision to scan their environments.The neuroanatomy of the visual tracks is such that peripheral vision requires only one hemisphere [of the brain], the left or right one, to function. Central vision, however, requires that both hemispheres function together (because some of the pathways cross over and others do not)" (The First Idea, by Stanley Greenspan, page 308).

I just that was so cool! Enjoy!

No comments:

Post a Comment