Sunday, April 18, 2010

Callings

I've been thinking about callings in church. What an amazing way to learn and grow. I am currently the Ward Choir Director.
http://www.public.asu.edu/~atbrl/choir.gif
Yeah. I know... scary. It has been an amazing calling for me. I have learned to stand up in situations where I know much less than those I teach - only because the Spirit is directing me. I have learned that even in the most strange situations, you can strengthen someone's testimony by opening your mouth or saying thanks for a job well done. I have learned that people need me as much as I need them - even when I'm failing. I have learned that falling apart in front of an entire group - hands shaking, thoughts in cohesive and misunderstood, tears about to escape down your face - that's when compassion and love and true soul to soul connections happen. When you are at your lowest, you are the most ready to be of service if you are relying on the Savior.
http://www.delparson.com/gallery_images/gentle_christ.jpg
Anyway, last week our Stake got all split up (which was traumatic for me. I always think I know what's gonna happen and God always finds a way to surprise me). I am excited for the changes, but realize that my faith must carry me through the hard parts of these changes. Callings are about to change all over the place. Maybe I'll stay where I'm finally comfortable - as the Ward Choir Director. Or maybe I'll change to something that is seemingly simple and easy, but will change my life. Or maybe I'll be hit with something overwhelmingly difficult that will force even more reliance on my Heavenly Father and Savior, Jesus Christ. You never know.

What I do know is this: My Heavenly Father wants me to become perfect, like Him. He wants what's best for me. He wants to give me experiences now that will taste sweet and bitter, that will strengthen and stretch and that will guide me to gain skills, perspectives and compassion for other situations I will face in the future. He wants me to be better. And sometimes that means He puts me where I feel I most certainly cannot succeed. There may be days where I feel as if there is nothing more I can do than fail hard. But, there is always a lesson to learn, always a soul to bless, always a reason for what we are asked to do. He is always praying and working for our success.
http://www.jesus-explained.org/images/Simon_Dewey_To_Be_With_God-2.jpg
For those of you working with a child with autism or other special needs in the church setting, I want you to know that you are invaluable. There are families out there who pray for you because of your faith and selfless service. You may feel as if you cannot do it. You may feel as if it's the hardest thing you've ever done. You may feel as if everything is falling apart. But, the Lord has placed you there for multiple reasons and it is your job to stay faithful and open to those things He wants to teach you, show you and use you for. Pray, heart and soul, that He will help you, guide you and show you what you need. And you will succeed - even when our mortal view seems to shout you haven't. Be faithful, true, and enduring. And know, I pray for you as well.

God loves us all, no matter what. Above all, do not forget that.
https://blogger.googleusercontent.com/img/b/R29vZ2xl/AVvXsEj0OfB7WNWEGL2X4GfkozecUFQTcOSGayzcVsbYCoy0V4TKbGeZuMXLebNSyAS8WMx5ZpQIeGH7Phtch4F8JgKkMywn9YpeFtADEFpVT_fTArk3zP3WJ2Op4Xocdb0lMPjdQsPHX8D6c9N5/s1600-r/AWM.jpg

No comments:

Post a Comment