Thursday, March 10, 2011

Helping Children Feel Safe

I was reading in the Ensign today and I came across this article:
http://lds.org/liahona/2011/02/helping-children-feel-safe?lang=eng&query=helping+children+feel+safe

As I read this article, I saw so many principles that help our kids - both those that are typically developing and those that may have special challenges.  The theme I saw in here was really identifying how behavior connects with emotions.  Oftentimes with children with autism, emotions are difficult and they struggle to connect them to experiences, environments or situations.  We as leaders, parents and adults need to really look at the behavior of the child and determine what emotions may be fueling that behavior.  For example, the other day I saw a child bite another child.  It seemed so out of the blue and so cruel.  However, as I reviewed the situation differently I realized that this child has shown in his patterns to really struggle with people touching him.  He doesn't like others to brush up on his skin or to give him high fives.  In this situation, another child was approaching him very quickly and so he bit him.  I realized that this reaction came from overwhelming fear.  What if he touches me?  What if he bumps me?  Ahhh! 

By being able to identify the intensity of this child's response (i.e. the biting) I am also able to recognize the little pieces that create intense emotion for this child.  Although I wouldn't get terrified enough that someone bumps me, it may seem like life or death to a child with autism who has an extremely sensitive sensory system in which the brain processes touch as painful.  This allows me to determine what I should do.  First of all, help that child feel safe by creating barriers and preparing him for possible touch.  Secondly, we can talk about what happened - connect those emotions to the way his body feels about touch.  This might be able to help us practice touch - putting our hands in the drinking fountain, high fives with other friends (after he feels safe enough that you will keep him safe from other unexpected touch), or even play with playdough.  This helps the child independently begin to overcome that aversion to touch which will eventually allow his emotions to stay in check so he doesn't respond in intense behavioral ways.

Anyway, that article really seemed to highlight the same type of process.  Lots of good stuff in there.  Go read it :)

No comments:

Post a Comment