Sunday, May 16, 2010

Patience

I was reading a talk today and I found a little gem I thought I'd share. The talk is "Patience, A Key to Happiness" by Joseph B. Wirthin. Here's a link: Patience.

Anyway, there was a little piece in this talk that struck me regarding teaching and working with kiddos. It says (with my little additions in brackets):

"Parents [or those called to work with children], be patient with your children. Read to your little children and help them with their schoolwork, even if you need to tell or show them the same things many times. Elder Richard L. Evans said, "If they find that they can trust us with their trivial questions, they may later trust us with more weighty ones" (Ensign, May 1971, p. 12). Capitalize on their natural curiosity [even when you are NOT curious in the same thing!] and help them develop a love for learning [and the world around them]. Teach them the principles of the gospel in simple terms [that are on their level and mindset]. Be patient with them if they disturb family home evening or family prayers [or sacrament meeting or primary sharing time...]. Convey [without language, but with Spirit and actions] to them the reverence you feel for the gospel, Church leaders, and the Savior."

This just reminded me in a small way of the very conscious effort I need to be making in my approach, thoughts and preparation for the children I work with. Reminded me that I need patience to be able to serve the children and families I work with and the only way I can be truly successful is by waiting and relying on the Lord. And, if I am patient and move forward in ways the Spirit shows me, just think of the impact that I can have.

No comments:

Post a Comment